Treat your friends and family on Christmas or Thanksgiving to this holiday pie recipe. This delicious pie is great for any other occasion, as well. The recipe includes eggs, orange juice, butter, and flour as basic ingredients, and that is all you need to make the perfect holiday pie.
Treat your friends and family on Christmas or Thanksgiving to this holiday pie recipe.
Ingredients for dough:
- 1⁄4 lb of unsalted butter, softened
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup of sugar
- 2 cups of flour
- 4 tablespoons water or 4 tablespoons of orange juice (Liquor can be substituted)
Ingredients for filling:
- 1 (Or 3 lb) container of whole milk ricotta cheese
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or 1 teaspoon of orange juice or 1 teaspoon anise extract (Liquor may be substituted)
- 2 cups of sugar
- X lemon (zest of)
- 1⁄2 bottle of maraschino cherry, chopped
- Sponge cake
- X orange (zest of)
- 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons of candied citron peel, finely chopped, optional
- Confectioners’ sugar (for dusting)
- In this step, take a big bowl and cream together softened butter and sugar. In order to do this, add egg yolks one at a time alternating between flour also a bit at a time.
- Now, add one tablespoon of water at a time, until all is incorporated and the dough is smooth.
- When done set it aside.
- Place it in a cool place to rest until ready to roll out. Meanwhile, prepare the filling.
- The filling can be easily done with an electric mixer, but we do all this in a food processor.
- In the first step, add the eggs, orange water, sugar, cheese, zest of orange, zest of lemon, and mix well until smooth. Set it aside. Mix in citron and cherries by hand.
- In the second step, roll out the dough a quarter-inch thick on a lightly floured surface, and fit into the bottom and up the sides of a 4″ high, 15″ round cake pan. Because it is very forgiving, the dough can be manipulated easily to fit the pan and to patch torn areas. In case you have extra dough, roll, and cut out thin strips to place on top of filling in a lattice pattern.
- In the next step, cut and place ½-inch slices of sponge cake on top of the dough to fit around the bottom of the pan. Now, sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the sponge cake. Pour batter into pan and top with lattice strips.
- In the last step, preheat your oven temperature to 375 degrees. Now, bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Turn off your oven but leave the pie inside with the door open to cool slowly. Dust the top of the pie with confectioners sugar after it is completely cooled.
- Calories: 327
Keywords: pie, orange, holiday, Thanksgiving, Christmas