You can make this dish as spicy as you like by adjusting the dried chili pepper flakes and jalapeno amounts. If you are one of those people who like spicy, then use 2 jalapeno peppers.
For even more flavor add in a small bottle of taco sauce and, if desired, cumin powder. All amounts may be adjusted to taste.
We suggest that you make this soup a day or two ahead – the flavors will intensify. Make this soup for your family or friends. However, bear in mind that some family member, especially children, may not like it too spicy.
Spicy Tex-Mex Chili Soup Recipe
- 1 ⁄2 lb of ground beef
- 1 medium onion Chopped
- 1 ⁄2 lb of Italian sausage Casings removed, Use spicy or milk
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder You can use more to taste
- 2 cans of Mexican-style tomatoes Or 14 ounce, Undrained
- 1 can of diced green chilies Or 7 ounce
- Seasoning salt or white salt and fresh ground pepper To taste, To taste
- 2 tablespoons of fresh minced garlic
- 1 to 2 teaspoon of dried chili pepper flakes Or just to taste
- 1 package of taco seasoning mix Or 1 and 1/4 ounce, You can also use 2 packages if desired
- 1 can of black beans Or 14 ounce, Rinsed and drained
- 1 can of kidney beans Or 14 ounce, undrained
- 1 can of tomato sauce Or 8 ounce
- 2 cups of beef broth
- Shredded cheddar cheese You can use any amount you desire
- Sour cream
- In the first step, cook the ground beef, onion and sausage meat in a Dutch oven or heavy pot until no longer pink; drain fat. Now, add chili pepper flakes, garlic and jalapeno pepper. Cook until meat is browned, stirring occasionally. This may take for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- In the second step, mix in the chili powder and taco seasoning mix and stir for about 1 minute. Next, add in all remaining ingredients except the black pepper and salt. Stir to combine.
- In the next step, simmer uncovered over low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 1 to 1 and half hours. Tip: The longer you simmer this soup uncovered, the better and richer it will be.
- In the last step, season with black pepper and salt to taste. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese.