Eggnog is a popular holiday beverage which hits store shelves around Christmas and New Year’s and is served at holiday parties around the country. It is a thick, dairy-based drink which is made with sugar, eggs, milk, and spices, usually vanilla and nutmeg.
Eggnog is sometimes spiked with a little bit of liquor, such as whiskey, rum or brandy. When beaten in with the milk and sugar, eggs give the drink a light and frothy texture. The traditional eggnog recipe calls for uncooked eggs, but most recipes these days are cooked and have a thick, creamy texture.
They are cooked to eliminate the elements of the raw egg of the traditional recipe. Another reason is that cooking the eggs causes the mixture to thicken slightly. Thanks to all of those eggs, eggnog is sweet and has a distinctly custardy flavor to it. It is also delicious as a nightcap when it has been spiked or as a simple, creamy dessert when simply topped with whipped cream. This is a great eggnog with or without alcohol. However, if you are planning to celebrate, for example, New Year’s, we recommend that you spike it just a little bit. Enjoy.
- 12 large egg whites
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 cups of light rum
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- 7 cups of whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of salt
- 3 cups of whipping cream
- 1 cup of whiskey (scotch or rye)
- In order to make this recipe, you will need 3 medium or large bowls. In the first step, beat egg whites in the first bowl until they start to thicken.
- Now, add 1 cup of sugar and beat until thick. In the second step, take the second bowl and beat egg yolks and salt in it, until thick.
- Next, combine beaten egg whites with yolks and beat until mixed and thick. In the next step, beat cream in a third bowl, until it starts to thicken.
- Add 2 tablespoons of vanilla and sugar to the beaten cream.
- Now, add milk, whiskey, and rum beating continually. Tip: For non-alcoholic eggnog omit the alcohol and add artificial rum flavoring. Do it a teaspoon at a time until you achieve the desired taste.
- In the last step, combine all the ingredients and chill.
- At the end, serve with a garnish of a sprinkle of nutmeg on top of each glass.