A cold variant of coffee is iced coffee, and iced mocha and iced latte are good examples. Coffee ice cubes poured with cold-brewed coffee make the best iced coffee.
Iced coffee takes some time, bit its rich, full flavor makes the wait worth. A blend of mid-roasted beans with moderate acid is the ideal coffee for this cold drink. Beans high in acid and a dark roast produce a bitter and sharper result.
There are many brewing methods, with the fundamental division being cold brew – yielding a different flavor, brewing the coffee cold, but not requiring cooling, or brewing hot and then cooling, simply by add over ice or into ice cold milk. In the case of hot brewing, flavorings and sweeteners are usually mixed into the hot coffee before cooling and it can be normally brewed coffee or espresso. Alternatively, syrup, especially gum syrup, can be used. In several countries, pre-packaged iced coffee is available as a grocery item.
Generally, iced coffee is brewed at a higher strength than normal coffee, due to the dilution caused by the ice. A cold sweetened coffee beverage which is called mazagran has been described as the original iced coffee. This beverage originated in Algeria circa 1840. Mazagran was prepared with cold water and coffee syrup.Iced coffee can be served poured hot over ice or already chilled. Since sugar doesn’t dissolve readily into cold liquids, it must be added either to the finished product in the form of syrup or directly to the hot base.
- Sweetened condensed milk (2 to 3 tablespoons)
- Half-and-half (healthy splash)
- 1 pound ground coffee (rich and good roast)
- Note: You can use syrups, artificial sweeteners, sugar, whole milk, skim milk, 2-percent milk, or anything you like. Take a large container and mix 8 quarts water and ground coffee in it. Cover it and let it stay overnight or for eight hours at room temperature. Now, line a fine mesh strainer with cheesecloth. Set it over a container or a pitcher. Add the water/coffee mixture through the strainer and make sure that all the liquid runs through.
- Next, discard the grounds. Put coffee liquid in the fridge and allow to cool. Use it when you need. In order to make iced coffee, put ice cubes in a glass to the top. Now, add the coffee liquid to the glass until it's two-thirds full. Also, add a healthy splash of half-and-half. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk or plain sugar. Stir it until combined. Taste it and adjust sweetened condensed milk or half-and-half as needed.