Banana bread is a sweet bread which is made with a batter that is full of toasted nuts, ground cinnamon, and mashed bananas. Some banana bread can also contain chocolate in them.
Banana bread was first baked in the United States and gained big popularity because it was very easy to make. Since it is a quick bread it is different from most other bread, because it uses baking powder to rise. Many different kinds of banana bread exist.
The wet ingredients are mixed together in one bowl, and the dry ingredients are mixed together in another bowl. Those two are combined together and then baked. At first, banana bread became a standard feature of American cookbooks. However, baking powder and baking soda were later popularized. Banana bread was published in Pillsbury’s Balanced Recipes cookbook in 1933, and later in 1950, the banana bread got more popularity with the release of the original Chiquita Banana’s Recipe Book.
February 23rd is the National Banana Bread day in the United States. Although bananas appeared in the United States in the 1870s, it took quite some time while they appeared as an ingredient item for desserts. During the Great Depression, the actual Banana Bread recipe was being published in cookbooks because resourceful housewives didn’t want to throw away overripe bananas since bananas were an expensive item to purchase at the time.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 8 tablespoons of unsalted butter at room temperature
- First, preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Now, butter a loaf pan, which is 9 x 5 x 3 in dimensions. Take a large mixing bowl and cream it with butter and sugar until fluffy and light. Then add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Now, take a small bowl and mash the bananas in it using a fork. Mix in the cinnamon and milk. Take another bowl, and mix in it together with the baking soda, salt, baking powder, and flour.
- In the next step add the banana mixture to the creamed mixture and stir it until combined. Now, add dry ingredients to the mixture and mix just until flour disappears. Take an already prepared pan and pour batter in it. Bake it until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, for about 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes. When done, set it aside to cool on a rack for about 15 minutes. Now, remove bread from pan onto the rack and let it cool completely. You can slice it when it is cool. You can serve slices with ice cream or spread honey on top of them.