Grilled ratatouille salad is a great meal for the whole family. You can make this delicious dish for friends or guests, as well. Tomatoes, onion, zucchini, eggplant, bell peppers and fresh herbs, traditional ratatouille ingredients, are great when tossed all together as a salad.
Eggplants are long prized for its deeply purple, glossy beauty and also its unique texture and taste. This vegetable is available in the market throughout the year.
However, it is very best from August through October when eggplants are in season. Tomato is a member of the nightshade family and it’s, in fact, a fruit. However, thanks to their affinity for other savory ingredients they are often classed as a vegetable. Tomatoes can vary in size but most have a sweet, gently tangy flavor, and are good both cooked and raw. Onions are an essential ingredient in countless recipes and also endlessly versatile.
These underground bulbs are native to Asia and prized around the world for the flavor and depth that they add to savory dishes. Zucchini is a type of summer squash which is also known as courgette. This vegetable grows in a range of environments and it has a broad assortment of uses, from raw pasta made from strips of sweet zucchini bread.
- 1 small eggplant
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 small red onion
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons of red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- First, slice the eggplant into half-inch-thick rounds. Now, take a bowl and fill it with water and a little bit of salt. Soak the eggplant in it for about 15 to 20 minutes. When done, drain and squeeze out the excess moisture. Next, slice the zucchini and tomatoes also into half-inch-thick rounds. In the next step, stem, and seed the bell pepper.
- Slice the onion and pepper into half-inch-thick rings. Now, heat a grill to medium-high or use a grill pan instead. Next, Use olive oil to brush the vegetables on both sides and season with a half teaspoon of pepper and salt to taste.
- Grill the vegetables (you can do it in batches if necessary), turning, for about 6 minutes for tomatoes, about 10 minutes for the eggplant, and for 7 to 8 minutes for the onion, zucchini and bell pepper, until soft and marked. After it’s done, let it cool. Use the vinegar to drizzle the vegetables. Divide the eggplant and zucchini among plates and arrange in a circle, slightly overlapping. Now, top with the onion, tomato and bell pepper and sprinkle with the basil.