The classic Greek salad consists of tomatoes, cucumbers, and red onion slices. However, this version is a favorite recipe of many people. This is a perfect lunchtime salad that also makes a great condiment for pita sandwiches.
Make this as a side dish and surprise your family with a delicious salad. Cucumbers belong to the same plant family as pumpkin, squash, and watermelon. Just like watermelon, they are made up mostly water, which means eating them on a hot summer day can help you stay hydrated.
However, it is recommended that you eat cucumbers all year long. With copper, potassium, manganese, vitamin C, vitamin K, and B vitamins, cucumbers can help you to avoid nutrient deficiencies which are widespread among those eating an average American diet. In addition, they contain unique polyphenols as well as other compounds which may help reduce your risk of chronic diseases and much more. Tomatoes are an excellent choice when it comes to their antioxidant benefits.
They provide a great amount of beta-carotene and vitamin C, a good amount of vitamin E, and an excellent amount of the mineral manganese. When it comes to phytonutrients, they are off the chart. The health benefits of tomatoes include good stomach health, relief from diabetes, improved eyesight, reduced blood pressure, skin problems and urinary tract infections. In addition, they can increase digestion, reduce cholesterol levels, stimulate blood circulation, protect the kidneys, improve fluid balance, prevent premature aging, detoxify the body, and reduce inflammation and related conditions.
Tomatoes consist of many antioxidants which have been proven to fight different forms of cancer. They are a great source of minerals and vitamins and exert a protective effect against cardiovascular diseases.
Cucumber, Tomato And Feta Salad Recipe
- 6 cups of coarsely chopped English hothouse or Persian cucumbers about 2 pounds total
- 1 bunch of scallions chopped
- 2 large tomatoes about 1 pound, coarsely chopped
- 7- ounce package of feta crumbled and divided
- 1 cup of assorted pitted olives such as Gaeta or Kalamata, halved
- 1/2 cup of coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In the first step, combine tomatoes, olives, cucumbers, half of feta, scallions, and mint in a big bowl.
- Now, whisk lemon juice and oil in a small bowl and season dressing with pepper and salt.
- In the next step, pour dressing over salad and toss to coat.
- Season to taste with pepper and salt.
- In the last step, sprinkle remaining half of feta over and serve.