Trying to eat right has become a challenge in the hectic lives we lead today. This has led to many health problems such as obesity and cancer. For this reason, people are always looking for easy to make healthy recipes. One such recipe is the cauliflower Shepard’s pie. The shepherd’s pie is a very popular type of pie in the UK and Ireland. The traditional pie is basically ground lamb mixed with veggies and a ‘pie crust’ of mashed potatoes.
The cauliflower shepherd’s pie replaces the traditional potato topping with mashed cauliflower. The pie is wonderfully comforting and doesn’t contain ingredient that could upset your gut. It’s free of gluten , dairy products , eggs, grains, nuts and night- shades. Apart from this, it’s very delicious.
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 large head cauliflower florets (mashed)
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 600 g minced lamb
- 2½ tablespoons of tomato paste
- 80 ml of dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon of chopped thyme leaves
- 375 ml of beef stock or chicken stock (check to see if its gluten- free)
- 3 tablespoons of roughly chopped flat leafy parsley
- Start by preheating your oven to 180 degrees.
- Take a large saucepan and add water. Let the water boil and then add the cauliflower. Let this cook for about 10 minutes until everything is tender. Drain the tender cauliflower in a colander and set it aside.
- Take your olive oil and heat it in a large frying pan over medium to high heat. You can also use a saucepan to heat the oil. Add onions, cumin, garlic, carrots, and celery. Cook the mixture for about 5 minutes, or until they are soft and brown.
- Add your lamb and cook until it turns brown. Add thyme and tomato paste and then cook for about 1 minute. After this, pour your wine and stock and simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir well until everything blends. Add sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, place your cooked cauliflower in the food processor. Blend everything until smooth. Take two tablespoons of oil and blend with the puree. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble, spread the meat mixture into the base of an oven- proof dish. Top your meat with cauliflower puree and then smooth the top evenly. Bake your pie in an oven for about 30 minutes, or until it turns lightly golden.
- Sprinkle your pie with parsley. Serve the pie with a fresh, seasonal salad of your choice.
This dish can be enjoyed by the whole family and is good for breakfast, lunch or even dinner. Cauliflower works well as a substitute for potatoes in this traditional Irish dish. This version, which uses cauliflower, tastes great and has some added health benefits that you won’t find in the traditional shepherd’s pie.
Cauliflower is part of family Brassicaceae, which is known as cruciferous vegetables. The vegetables contain compounds which have the ability to reduce estrogen dominance. Cruciferous vegetables are also known for their cancer-fighting properties and many other health benefits