A Buffalo wing is a chicken wing section which is generally unbreaded, deep-fried, and coated in vinegar-based cayenne pepper hot sauce and butter.
It is the cuisine of the United States which has been first prepared at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York. Buffalo wings can be traditional style or boneless.
Traditionally, buffalo wings are served hot, along with carrot sticks and/or celery sticks with ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping.
They are also served with various types of sauces, such as mild, medium, hot, honey or garlic flavored. Nutritional facts vary depending on the type of sauce and wing. Buffalo wings are high in fat, but they are also a good source of protein. If you are trying to maintain a healthy diet make them yourself so that you can choose the sauce ingredients.
- ¼ cup hot sauce
- 3 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 whole chicken wings
- Take a 6-quart saucepan with a steamer basket and fill it with 1-inch of water in the bottom. Now, place the saucepan over high heat, cover it and bring to a boil. Next, remove the tips of the wings. You can save them for making stock or, if you want, you can discard them. Now, take a knife or kitchen shears and use it to separate the wings at the joints.
- Put the wings into the steamer basket. Now, cover it, reduce the heat to medium and steam for about 10 minutes. In the next step, remove the wings from the basket and slowly pat dry. Next, put the wings out on a cooling rack set in a half sheet pan which is lined with paper towels and leave it for about one hour in the refrigerator.
- In the next step, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Now, take parchment paper and replace the paper towels. Next, roast on the middle rack of the oven for about 20 minutes. Turn the wings over and continue cooking for additional 20 minutes. Cook until meat is cooked through and the skin is golden brown.
- Take a small bowl and melt in it the butter along with the garlic, while the chicken is roasting. Now, take a bowl which is large enough to hold all of the chicken and over it butter and garlic from a small bowl with hot sauce and salt. Stir it until it is combined. Turn off the oven and remove the wings from it. Now, transfer the wings to the bowl and toss it together with the sauce. When you serve it, serve it warm.