These black bean burgers have a robustly meaty texture and a complex, satisfying flavor which even devout carnivores will love. It takes only 25 minutes to make the mixture which can be sued to make patties for cooking either indoors in a skillet or on the backyard grill.
Their black bean burgers require a moderate heat so that they can firm up and cook through before the exterior burns, unlike regular burgers, which are best when they are cooked over very high heat. This recipe is easy to make, requires only half an hour and is very delicious.
Make this when you are having guests or when you want to have great burgers for your meal. Among all food commonly eaten in the world, no food has a more health-supportive mix of fiber-plus-protein than legumes. Included here is the amazing fiber-plus-protein content of black beans. A single cup of black beans contains about 15 grams of fiber and 15 grams of protein. You won’t find this great fiber-protein combination in vegetables, meats, fruit, dairy products, grains, seafood, or nuts and seeds. This is one of the reasons why black beans are such a great choice and excellent ingredient for your meals.
- ½ medium yellow onion (roughly chopped)
- 2 tablespoons of cilantro leaves (freshly chopped)
- 1 tablespoon of chopped garlic
- 2 (15-ounce) cans of black beans (divided, rinsed and drained)
- 2 teaspoons of parsley leaves (freshly chopped)
- ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- ½ cup of bread crumbs
- 4 hamburger rolls
- 1 egg
- Fresh ground black pepper and salt
- Optional Toppings:
- 1 tomato (sliced)
- ¼ cup of ketchup
- 4 small Romaine lettuce leaves (or you can use any other type you want)
- In the first step, heat a grill pan or grill over medium-low heat. Now, pulse garlic and onion in a food processor until they are finely chopped. Add 1 can of black beans, egg, cilantro, red pepper flakes and parsley and pulse in order to combine. In the second step, take a big mixing bowl and transfer the mixture into it. Now, add the bread crumbs and the remaining can of black beans. Season it with pepper and salt in order to taste, and mix it well until it’s combined.
- In the third and final step, reserve ⅓ of the black bean mixture for Round 2 Recipe. First, divide remaining mixture into four portions and form into patties. Now, place on a hot grill which is oiled over medium-low heat, and cook until heated through, for about 6 minutes. In the next step, toast hamburger buns on a grill. Next, put a burger on the bottom of each bun. Top with ketchup, tomato, and lettuce. At the end, cover the burgers with the top of the bun and serve.